Everyone is familiar of how important calcium is in daily diet but little one knows that magnesium is more significant.
Magnesium is one of the essential mineral nutrients in the human body. Of the approximately 20 to 28 grams stored in the body, sixty percent (60%) is found in the bones and teeth, whereas the remaining forty percent (40%) is found in the muscles. Serum levels of magnesium range from 1.5 to 2.1 mEq/L. It is the second most abundant positively charged ion found within body cells, implying its significance in the multitudes of physiologic cellular functions. One of the most essential metabolic processes, the synthesis and consumption of ATP is directly related to magnesium. Magnesium linked ATP processes activate roughly 300 different enzymes that are involved in diverse functions including DNA and RNA synthesis, glycolysis, intracellular mineral transport, nerve impulse generation, cell membrane electrical potential, muscle contraction, blood vessel tone, and the regeneration of ATP.